Saturday 10 August 2013

REVIEW: FALLEN BY LAUREN KATE


There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.
Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, FALLEN is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story. (Summary via goodreads) 



Note: this review will be spoiler free.

When I saw Fallen on the shelf on my first visit to my local library (I just moved), I picked it up instantly. I'd heard so many things (good and bad!) about the series and although I wasn't exactly sure what it was about, enough people had talked about it  for me to want to give it a go. After reading the blurb, I wasn't too excited about it, I've never been a fan of books that focus predominantly on romance so I was a little cautious. I picked up four other books, but decided to read this first so that if I didn't like it, I could at least look forward to the other ones.

The book surprised me. I liked it, I liked Luce from the beginning and I was so interested in all the friends she was about to make at this new school that she was off to. Although the story is mainly set around the romance plot in the book, I liked the fantasy elements too as they weren't something I was expecting. I'm unsure of whether I like Daniel yet, I don't feel like we got to know him that well, which I guess is understandable as he spends the majority of his time avoiding Luce at all costs. He feels like just another 'Edward Cullen' type to me and I hope he gets more of a personality in the next book. I have to put this out there though, I did start to get annoyed with Luce and her obsession with Daniel and how everything she did was in effort to find more out about him. Seriously girl, get. over. it. 

I finished this book quickly, but I did feel it took a long time to get going and when it did get going, it stopped abruptly. There wasn't enough action for me. The plot was promising and would of been a lot better had we actually seen much more action and less of Luce sneaking around reading up on Daniel. I wasn't a fan of the ending, it felt way too predictable for me and similar to how a lot of other books in this genre tend to end. I think I am going to continue on with the series though, my library has the whole series available, so why not?




No comments:

Post a Comment